Mother: At one point daughter and I thought we would be fashion bloggers. What we found was fashion blogging is lots of work. In my opinion, there are at least ten reasons fashion blogging doesn’t work for us that involves socks. From socks, you can go any direction including size, fit, makeup, patterns you name almost anything dealing with fashion, and it can present an issue.
1. We aren’t svelte. To be svelte means to be slim and elegant we are neither. We are as daughter likes to say a little “fluffy,” and our dressing style leans more towards comfy. Tanesha Awasthi over at Girls with curves and Paula at dimples on my what both have excellent blogs regarding fashion for women with curves and, we follow both of them, but we don’t emulate.
2. We are Macy shoppers. Once in awhile, we will veer off to J C Penney’s, Nordstroms, Marshalls or Nordstroms Rack Room but basically, we head to Macy’s. The clothes at Macy’s fit, there is a large selection, and they have coupons. Plus we shop a lot online and if you shop Macy’s as much as we do you know what sizes fit and can order without worries. It takes time and effort to branch out to Target, TopShop or vintage re-sale shops and daughter doesn’t have the time, and I don’t have the energy.
3. Shoes. Daughter and I both love shoes. DSW or again Macy’s are our go-to places for our shoes. Comfort is the name of my game right now, so I wear nothing with a heel. Daughter does wear a higher heel and likes tall wedges so she would photograph well. I guess if we wanted just to do shoes we could. We both have a wide variety of shoes her with everything from flats to heels and me with my Keds, but that might get boring.
4. We both love a nice purse. Daughter carries a number of different styles and sizes of bags but I mostly go for a crossbody. The problem would be to get a smooth nice photo of our bag it would need to be unloaded. We have a tendency to carry anything we think we might need for the day in our bag.
5. Makeup is another reason we couldn’t be photographed for a blog on a regular basis. Daughter, because she works every day, does her makeup but there are days when moisturizer is all I use. Let me tell you Instagram is not ready for a picture of me with no makeup. If you have seen the episode of Grace and Frankie where Grace takes off her makeup you understand.
6. Let me get to socks now. Others may not have the dilemma over socks that I have, but they are a struggle for me. First and foremost is finding a pair of socks that your shoes don’t eat. Second is deciding what length of socks you want. Do you want knee, crew or ankle socks? The length of the sock matters especially with leggings or skinny jeans because no matter which length you go with other than the ankle, I am going to have a visible line showing where the sock cuts into my calve. But if I wear an ankle sock I have to wear booties because I don’t like to see sock around the top of my shoe and I don’t always want to wear booties. I can find low cut socks, but again I have the issue of the shoe eating the sock. I could go on and on with the sock subject, but I think you get the idea.
7. Along with the socks issue is the bare leg versus hose or tights. Unless it is the middle of summer and my legs are well tanned going bare legged isn’t going to happen. I use to work with a girl who never wore any leg covering. She had beautiful legs, and even in the below 0 weather of winter in Columbus she wore 4-inch heels, a dress and had bare legs. My legs turn a funky color when it is cold outside, so pants are my go to in the winter. Another problem if I wear tights/hose is the bulge around the waist. It doesn’t matter which brand of tights I buy there is a bunch of problems. If I get control top then I have the muffin top, if I go up a size to avoid muffin top, I end up with ankle sag, to avoid ankle sag I pull the legs up which then causes thigh strangulation. It is all a neverending problem.
8. Print mixing, color combining, jewelry, scarves the list of what you need to know about goes on and on. Necklines and hem lengths, sleeves and their length or sleeveless more decisions. Not going to get into any of this because it makes my head hurt.
9. I could write forever about taking the photos. Do you hire a photographer, have your husband or friend shot them or do you buy a tripod, camera, and a wireless trigger. Then you have to pick a location for the photos. If you are going to pose indoors where? Do you want to be in front of a blank wall, sitting or standing? If you go outdoors what type of setting are you looking for street, storefronts, crowds? Again you get the picture.
10. The biggest reason we aren’t fashion bloggers is it is too much work. Blogging is a full-time job in and of itself without having to worry about all of the above plus I am sure things I haven’t thought of. Maybe we are lazy who knows but at this point in time fashion blogging is not our gig.
Most of this is written tongue in cheek, and we appreciate the hard work all of the fashion bloggers do. The sock and hose problems though are all facts.
Until next time.